There is nothing which adds vibrant colors to your home like a bunch of fresh cut flowers and plants around your house. Plus, they add a lovely, refreshing welcoming touch to any home.
However, if you are a parent of fur babies, you might want to think about placing random plants in your home. While most cat owners do their best to hide tiny dangers such as cleaning supplies and rubber bands, what you may not realize is that there might be hazardous plants lying around your home.
As a matter of fact, there are more than 700 plant varieties that are harmful to cats if ingested, and most of them are common household plants.
Here are some of the most common house plants that you need to keep away from your feline buddy.
Every member of the Lilium family is considered to be highly dangerous and toxic to cats. Most types of lily like Casa Blanca, Stargazer, Easter, Japanese Show, Asian, and Tiger, can cause kidney failure in cats.
Although the poisonous component is not yet identified, it is clear that with even the smallest ingestions of the plant can cause severe kidney damage.
The stems, bulbs, and leaves of amaryllis contain phenanthridine and lycorine alkaloids that can induce respiratory depression, tremors, excessive drooling, hypotension, diarrhea, abdominal pain and vomiting. Although the toxin is usually concentrated in the bulbs, if any part of this plant is ingested, you need to seek medical advice immediately.
The more severe symptoms should occur if your cat ingested a big amount of the plant, however, be sure to keep a close eye if you suspect that she tried even a small bit of it.
3. Tulips and Narcissus Bulbs
If you have them planted on your yard or in a vase inside, they are a big no for cats. Although they are not fatal, taking a bite off them, particularly the bulb, can cause cardiac abnormalities, convulsions, central nervous system depression, loss of appetite, nausea, excessive drooling, and oral and gastrointestinal irritation.
4. Dracaena Plants
This popular, leafy houseplant comes with about 40 varieties, including the dragon plant. If your feline eats the long fronds which are typical of these plants, they will lose their appetite, become depressed and even vomit blood.
IT is usually not a fatal reaction and should go away after 12 – 24 hours. However, if symptoms worsen and your cat does not seem to recover after 24 hours, you will need to take her to your vet.
Most people are not going to allow their kitties nibble and destroy their beautiful daffodils, but, you never know what will happen when you turn when turning your back for a second. Furthermore, if your cat loves to stroll around the neighborhood, chances are they’ll spot a daffodil bed to lounge around and possibly nibble.
Thus, you need to be very wary. These harbinger of spring are dangerous to cats with the bulbs being the most toxic part. Ingestion of any portion can cause convulsions, arrhythmias, abdominal pain diarrhea, vomiting and a major drop in blood pressure. If you think your fur baby eat some of this plant, call your vet ASAP!
6. Sago Palm
Quite popular in warmer places, this outdoor and household plant can be extremely harmful to cats. If ingested, the seeds and leaves can cause damage to the stomach lining, bloody stools, severe liver failure, vomiting and in some cases, death.
Although they might be eye-catching and beautiful, oleander is actually hazardous to both humans and animals. Brimming with poison like neriin and digitoxigenin, the flowers and leaves of this outdoor shrub, when ingested, can cause lethargy, hives, slowing or irregular heart rate, blurred vision, weakness, low blood pressure, severe vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.
8. Autumn Crocus
There are 2 Crocus plants— one that blooms in the autumns and the other in the spring. The spring variety is much more common. If ingested, it can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
The Autumn Crocus, on the other hand, is much more toxic due to its colchicine content. Ingestion can cause respiratory failure, kidney and liver damage, gastrointestinal bleeding, and severe vomiting.
This plant contains toxins like pyrethrins, lactones sesquiterpene and other irritants. It can cause diarrhea, lack of coordination, dermatitis, excessive drooling, and vomiting.
This plant contains grayanotoxin that interferes with the functioning of your cat’s heart and skeletal muscles. Ingesting even a tiny amount can cause stupor, weakness, central nervous system depression, paralysis in the legs, low blood pressure, diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, coma, heart collapse, and death.