Pets like cats and dogs are already part of the family. We feed them, we take a bath them and we also talk to them. Just like us humans, we also communicate with animals by talking to them. They may not answer us but at least, we know they are listening. They also need to take a bath, if possible, every day but it is okay if only once a week. Because they also need to be freshened up. And the most essential need of pets is foods. They also eat thrice a day just like us humans. But they cannot eat all the foods that humans can eat.
Having a pet is not that easy, we need to spend time taking care of them. Pet owner should also be responsible enough and knowledgeable about their pet. We need to be careful of the food we give to our pets because instead of giving them the love they might be in danger.
Cats are one of the pets that people love because of their cuteness. But be careful, there are foods that are dangerous and poisonous to them and can also lead to death.
List of harmful foods and drinks for the cat:
Here is the list, find out why are these foods and drinks harmful and also the symptoms for you to know when will you bring your pet to the vet.
1. Onions and garlic
This can damage the red blood cells and be the main reason for the cats to have anemia. Aside from onions and garlic, shallots and scallions are also poisonous especially when large quantities are eaten. Veterinarians’ attention is need when cats have these following symptoms: lethargy, reduced appetite, weakness, orange to dark red urines and pale gums.
2. Raw egg, raw meat, and raw fish
Consumption of raw eggs or meat can poison cat with salmonella or E. coli bacteria. And the illness that can catch by the cat, vary with these symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. While eating raw fish has an enzyme that can destroy cat’s thiamine which can cause neurological problems and coma.
Cats don’t usually eat chocolates, but some owners want their cats to taste it even just a little bit. But chocolates have a toxic property of theobromine and a substance of methylxanthines which can cause abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, high body temperature, muscle tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, increased thirst and sadly death.
4. Alcohol and raw dough
The effect of food and drinks with alcohol is ingestion that can cause diarrhea, vomiting, trouble in breathing and sadly death. While raw dough can create alcohol in the stomach and cause expansion in the stomach. When intake by the cat even just a little bit alcohol, better take the cat to vet immediately.
5. Milk and dairy products
Cats love to drink milk but too much is not good because they can not easily digest lactose in milk except milk form their mother when they are kittens.
6. Grapes and raisins
Can lead to rapid development of kidney failure. Then, when time past by vomiting, ingestion, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, reduced appetite, hyperactivity, and decreased urination.
7. Dog food
Dog food is made only for dogs. Cat food is made for cats which contain more proteins, plenty of vitamin A. taurine, arachidonic acid and fatty acids which cat needs. Straight eating of dog food as a substitute for the cat food may lead to malnourishment.
8. Coffee, tea, and energy drinks
Caffeine which is present in coffee, tea, and energy drinks are also dangerous. The effect of caffeine is restlessness, heart palpitation, rapid breathing, muscle tremor, and even death. Too much caffeine is really fatal to cats and there is no antidote.
Persin is the toxic component of the avocado. It can damage heart, lung and other tissues of the cat. Most animals like dogs and cats should not allow them to eat avocado because it is very toxic.
Nuts that are toxic are walnuts and macadamia nuts. As time pass by symptoms such as vomiting, high body temperature, inability to stand or walk, weakness, an elevated heart rate and even paralyzed to death. If cat ate chocolates with nuts are even more dangerous.
Untreated animals like a cat could die. They can first suffer to loss of coordination, seizures and sudden drop of blood sugar. Candies or anything that contain xylitol (a common sweetener found in some diet products) are harmful to cats.
Medicine for the human can be poisonous. Cats have their own medicine only if prescribed by the vet. Proper storage of the medicines will take the danger away from our pets.
Too much eating liver can cause toxicity of vitamin A. Deformed bones, bone growths on the spine and elbow, and osteoporosis is the symptoms brought by the serious condition that can affect the bones of the cat.
14. Fat trimmings and bones
Cooked and uncooked fats can lead to vomiting and diarrhea because of intestinal upset. While bones can choke a cat and can cut the digestive system of the cat.
Tuna made for humans are not also good for the cat because it does not also contain the nutrients needed by the cat. So, don’t let open cans of tuna be left behind because cat might assume that you are giving it.
There you have it, the above list is the 15 harmful foods and drinks for our cats. We should be watchful to the foods and drinks we are giving to our pet. They don’t know what are the dangerous foods and drinks for themselves so we pet owner should be the one responsible about it.
So, again the harmful foods are onions, garlic, raw egg, raw meat, raw fish, chocolate, grapes, raisin, dog food, avocado, nuts, candy, medicine, liver, fat trimming, bones, and tuna. While the harmful drinks are alcohol, raw dough, milk, dairy products, coffee, tea, and energy drinks. Be sure you are mindful and careful before being a pet owner.